Sunday, August 8, 2010

never age again

Naw, ain't that the sweetest.

Anyway, in other news, I've been thinking about getting into the tutoring scene a lot - after the HSC, I mean. I probably wouldn't be that good a teacher for obvious reasons (y'know, seeing as how I actually kinda half fluked my way throughout the entire course), but to be able to provide what Ms Cunliffe gave (and still gives) to me for someone else would be pretty unreal.

Unrelated pictures that I feel like sharing to break up the walls of text.

Of course, like everything else I ever want to do, I'd want to make minimal profit from it. Whether it's giving Dannis shitty shortcut-oriented guitar lessons for $10 an hour, or getting those Shove It shirts done (poorly) last year and trying to sell them for $9, or trying to get the Infinitely Depressing Playlist CD's done and prettied up for $1 donations, I really like the idea of being able to provide something for almost nothing, if not nothing at all, because I know that if I was in the same position, being able to benefit from barely any input would be gold.

Anarchy in Athens.

There's also the pretty important factor of quality - I'm pretty sure those $10 lessons I gave Dannis were probably worth less, if not worthless. WACHOW.

Even more Anarchy in Athens.

There's also the fact that I am really not looking forward to leaving school - at least, not the basic structure and routine. It's a safe bet that I'm not gonna miss going to class, but I know I'm going to miss the idea of going to school every day and hanging with friends and having to cram for exams because that's how it's been for years, and while the vast freedom we get after the HSC is appealing, it's also terrifying. Ridiculous as it sounds, I know I'm going to miss writing essays and feedbacking others because it's what I'm good at. Y'know that feeling you get when you think of something you're really looking forward to? Like, that excited feeling you get all week when you know you're headed to a gig on Friday night? Well, that's me when I think about writing essays for upcoming exams. That's probably a bit of an exaggeration because half the time when I think about stuff like that I wanna die, but for the other half, I'm looking forward to the challenge, because for me, it's almost the same as doing a sudoku or something. I know that as long as I follow the basic structure and method, I'll be fine in the end, and I'll feel good when that happens. I think that's why people enjoy math - being able to rely on a defined structure. Everyone thinks of English as really inconsistent and wishy-washy and a subject where you can write up pages of bullshit and get paid because it's all down to the subjective personal views of the marker, but in reality, the marking criteria in English is almost as rigid as that in math. That's an exaggeration too - English marking, at our school at least, is fucked - but in most cases, if you treat English like Math and bang out the necessary and cut out everything you don't need, it comes out in the end. You don't provide extra working out in Math, so you wouldn't put anything unnecessary in your essays. All you need to do is figure out what is necessary. I'm completely off track at the moment. Basically, what I was saying was, doing English tutoring would allow me to kinda retain a small sense of school routine. Yeah.

derp

I'd probably really enjoy doing tutoring right now, even - if someone approached me and asked me to give them English tutoring once a week, like how Pearson tutors his neighbour, I'd probably be thrilled to do it for free. I'd be even more so if it was someone who actually needed tutoring, with a subpar rank and subpar writing skills, as opposed to someone coming tenth who wants to jack up their rank even further. People like that don't need tutoring - they've got all the skills they need. All they need to do is practice. This doesn't apply if you're Dannis. Sorry Dannis. Meanwhile, people who probably don't have basic essay-writing foundations down, and haven't got a proper grasp of what's happening in the module, are having a hard enough time trying to do just that. Being able to help those people is something I think I'd really feel good about and enjoy. Fuck competitiveness, and fuck darting around people's questions and avoiding them when they ask you for help (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, KONRAD). If someone asks you for help with a question in Math, you don't fucking tell them to 'just answer the question,' so don't do it with English either. I'm off track again.

Anarchy in Athens.


Jeez, calm down Genvin, it's just English.

15 comments:

ughhhhhhhh said...

ngaww

Deevan said...

a) I'm sure most people memorise practice essays and forget to answer the question, which is why they lose marks. So even though people say "Just answer the question" a lot, they're doing it for a reason
b)No, English marking is not as rigid as you think it is. What's the difference between a sound understanding of concepts and a sophisticated one? What makes a 19 and a 20? What makes someone write "well"?
c) Creative writing. See b)
d) You ask the top ten in English what they think of your essay, and they'll tell you whatever whatever, but in reality, they don't have a fucking clue. I'm not joking or being bitter either - Udit's insistence on my writing of Wit as W;t, and dates as words is just one example of how ridiculous everyone's grasp of English is. You cannot seriously tell me what is going through a marker's head because it IS subjective.
e) Possibly with the exception of you, no one in the top ten enjoys English, because they know it's full of shit, even though they're good at it
f) tutor me

ishraq said...

Wow, your reasons for wanting to go into tutoring are pretty much the complete opposite of mine. I actually plan to tutor the rank <10 kids specifically to take their money for being idiots and subscribing to the 'OMGMEDICINE99.95ATAR' worldview (yes, WORLDview). Helping people who actually need the help does feel nice (and I would probably offer free PhO tutoring), except I don't actually have the skill or patience to teach people who don't already have a basic understanding of maths/physics.

genvinout said...

aw man, I got totally shut down

Anonymous said...

that is actually inspiring. it sounds like you would make a great tutor.

Anna Vo said...

I need tutoring.

Anonymous said...

Shouldnt you be studying right now?

genvinout said...

just saying, to everyone who said to tutor them (just Stephen and Anna Vo, actually), I can't tell if dems jokes

also @ anon 2... yeah.

@Ishraq, that's actually pretty slick of you, you sly puppy. that actually made me rethink what I said in the post

and at everyone else, nawww

Anna Vo said...

Not joking, I really really really need an english tutor.

Deevan said...

not joking either
also anna vo did you stop being anonymous when quoc discovered who you were? that comic was genius.

Anna Vo said...

Yes. I actually wouldn't mind having a poster of that comic on my wall, game was pretty fun while it lasted.

BTW there were other people who commented as anon, so not all of the anon comments were from me.

genvinout said...

well I'd be cool with tutoring both of you for free if you actually want it..

@Stefan: probably wouldn't be 'tutoring' in your case, it'd be more like me regurgitating all the information I've absorbed from Ms Cunliffe about how to approach each module, which is actually readily available to you (in her own words) via email, but if you really want

@Anna: if you actually really want, you could try suggest a day of the week and a place - and I could run through modules with you. I'm free pretty much every day except Thursdays, because, ironically, I have English tutoring

Anna Vo said...

Free? Sweeeet.

Oh and crap I didn't remember til you mentioned modules, we learn different modules - I do standard. But you like marking right? If you want, I can always write up essays for you to mark and give feedback on.

genvinout said...

oh yeah that'd be cool too
mr.genvin.thirteen@hotmail.com, if you ever want to throw me anything
I'm not gonna totally guarantee 100% that I'll have time to read it, but based on the fact that I do jack shit all day, then I probably will
(Y)

Anna Vo said...

Ohokay cool. It'll take a while though, so don't be expecting anything soon.
BTW I know we do have paper 1 in common, so if you don't mind, can we work on that? I got my trials results back and everything already.