Tuesday, April 20, 2010

obligatory sheep post on half yearlies

Having gotten my half-yearlies back, I think it has finally sunk into me just how much work I need to actually put in, if I want to even break into the post 415 aggregate range. I guess I honestly haven't been taking this whole HSC thing seriously. That is, seriously enough to push myself to complete set homework and rarely enough, write some notes.
Everyone has standards, but I guess the most amusing thing is that I have such high standards, that if I told you, you would most definitely laugh at me. I don't know if it is due to my subtle elitism, or the fact that I constantly compare myself to where I could be ( sydney boys/tech ) but I realise that my 'standards' are so stupidly high that I don't think I will ever be able to reach them.
And it freaks me out now.

The first set of marks was extension 2 maths, in our offline class. To be honest, I have varying expectations to how good/bad I went in the test. I knew I lost at least 10.. but the actual mark somewhat surprised me, even though it shouldn't have.
I sat in my seat sweaty, realisation that this is the all important give it all or nothing year, anxiously waiting for a positive start to the day. Indeed, when Rawson gave out the marks - question by question - I had this bubble of hope inside me that I might have actually done well in a maths test (sidenote. No matter who leads you to believe, I've been flunking maths ever since I came into this school..or ever since year 8 actually). I don't know about you...but having all my high school life to used to being shown percentages of 60% - 70% isn't exactly the greatest thing in the world ( I guess I just got used to it..), and adding it up to total 60/75...I felt somewhat satiated. It was almost underwhelming in a sense, as I didn't know what I should have been expecting. What was encouraging is that I lost marks for "missing steps in working out" HURR, and that, even though it felt like it at the time, marks weren't lost because I lacked the ability to do questions, but rather they were attributed to many many silly mistakes.

I'm not even proud to say extension 2 was my highest mark, but it was. The ball dropped for me 2 periods in a row. First, economics, my forte, my 'free 2 units'...turned out so very very wrong. I was literally on the verge of tears when I grabbed my paper. 52/70.
The day didnt end there with english to push me to the edge. Everything was already in the back of my mind anyway, and I knew that I would receive not so pleasant marks for my speech ( 13/20 ) but what always pisses me off is that I always get positive comments.. which doesn't exactly HELP AT ALL. To be honest, I was feeling good about english, in that the speech could be balanced out by the written section. 5/10 for the extended response. HURR. I totalled 21.25/30 or 35/50. ( 17/20 for short story ).
Once you pop, you can't stop. Physics.. don't even want to say anything. A bashing by both Brian and Kaushalya ( then followed by a more-than triumphant Stephen ) didn't exactly send a positive signal to my brain. " What the hell man, whats wrong with you. You work so hard! What happened? Why do you keep doing this. Mr Zhang is going to kill you. " etc etc. Shhh Brian... I know =( 31.5/50
Extension one..hahah heres a funny thing. We have like a trio thing going on between Lawrence Vincent and I. Vincent doesnt do extension 2 maths, and yet has beaten both me and lawrence in EVERY single maths test. hmmm.... 42/60.

lol...going to get band 6 for anything now. wtf.

1 comment:

genvinout said...

.. who said 'What the hell man, whats wrong with you?"

also,
"but I realise that my 'standards' are so stupidly high that I don't think I will ever be able to reach them.
And it freaks me out now."

spout spout aim for moon, if fail land amongst stars, spout spout. seriously though, high standards are for the better, even if your self-esteem is constantly crushed for not getting where you wanted. i do science