Monday, November 9, 2009

IM SO PRO AT LIFE

because the interwebs seem to be a safe place to bitch about things related to school and how it seems that you're safe, i too will bitch.

morgan, this is directly towards you, because sooner or later you will read/find this.
Stop reading if you want me to say this in person.



anyway, I think all this stir you have caused was completely unnecessary. No doubt you might feel like reporting possible hate posts across the interwebs. To that, I say to you: what did you expect?
When I first saw those posters I thought " hmm... nice.. " and after that, it was not worthy of anymore of my attention. It was that, it seemed nice in the sense that it might have been some sort of social commentary on how often we use the word "gay", so understandably, I took it as some form of satire. Having said that, and now enlightened with words of the true intent,to be proactive in this aspect, yes I applaud your efforts. Those posters seemed to be handwritten..
But let me understand why you undertook such actions.I assume you wanted to reduce the level of discrimination related to the word "gay", and in that sense, remove the direct links that "gay" associated with, namely that it be used as an expression of dislike towards an object or phenomenon. Now, the simplest way that I can comprehend why, is so that the word "gay" no longer only be associated with expressions of dislike, and that it should be used only as much equally as those other words you so kindly suggested.
I LOL here.
The very fact that you are trying to undertake a reduction of discrimination towards that particular word, emphasises this: that because the common and widespread use of the word "gay" is seemly so integral to our teenage audience and dialect, you and your actions are provoking 'special consideration' towards that word. In other words, you are discriminating against it(gay) by making people reconsider its use in what otherwise would be commonly accepted. Causing this stir has not only elevated the attention towards the word, but has infact caused a majority to move against your wishes.
Don't get me wrong. I have already said that I applaud your efforts to raise awareness of such an 'issue', but clearly, actually making change was not feasible to begin with. Language is a funny thing, but it is not up to you to decide how it is used.


totally gonna get told off for this =3
~

2 comments:

genvinout said...

queer queer queer queer queer.
mr faulds reckons that the word 'gay' actually has three definitions:
1. happy
2. homosexual and
3. just as a word that means something negative, used by people every day, but not related to definition 2

Kuoke said...

TRUST THIS GUY, HE DOES 4 UNIT PHILOSOPHY.